A brief note about the history of Selmaville School
Young School met in a building, during the 1840's, that was used as a one-room school and a church. Young School then moved to a building on the corner of Red Stripe and Selmaville Road. This school used a well, located in the front yard, as a water source. The entire community came to fill their water tanks from this well, and surprisingly, it never ran dry. Due to the large addition of "oil boom" students in the late 1930's, this school was divided into two buildings. In the early 1940's a new Young School building was built on the site of our present school.
Shanafelt School was also a one-room school. This building site, located on the corner of Selmaville Road and Route 50, was the location of our former Selmaville North School. Over a period of time, each school began to consolidate with other one-room schools.
A decision was made to consolidate Young School and Shanafelt School. In 1967, Selmaville School was established. Students in grades kindergarten through fourth grade were placed in the old Shanafelt building. Students in grades five through eight attended school in the old Young School, where our current school is now located.
This arrangement continued until the South School was remodeled, and the new portion of our school was constructed. Our North students moved to our current campus in November of 2004.